Saturday, November 21, 2015

Wearing a skirt.

So I mentioned in my last post that the weather has turned quite wintry here. Frankly, I was a little excited about not doing winter this year, but it is what it is. The heater is doing great, and I want to make sure it keeps doing great, so I'm putting a skirt of sorts on the house. Mainly to provide a bit more insulation to the floor. The floor is already insulated, but I figure it can't hurt to close in the space under the house anyway.  Picked up a bunch of straw bales this morning with the help of the Dodge family and put it around the house. Still need a few more bales, but we bought all that was out at the time.  



Got the tile all finished with some caulk along the counter. 


The table drawers are finished. 


I will be calling an electrician on Monday.  I have all the wiring finished except from the inverter to the breaker box, but that part has been a bit of a dilemma for me because most of the info online is for much bigger setups than I have.  My breaker box is even all wired up. The inverter to the breaker box is the last big thing.   

At this point I feel like I'm mostly tweaking things, which is a good point to be at.  

Another trial and error confession: I switched from a graywater greenhouse to a graywater mulch basin.  The water-wicking buckets weren't working.  In the summer I will try that again, in the meantime I built a mulch basin.  According to a book I have on greywater, my mulch basin only needed to be about 10 square feet because I don't use much water.  So I built a small mulch basin, 12 square ft, on the north side of my house, and re-configured my outside drain pipes.
Doesn't look like much, and it really isn't. I built up the sides a bit and filled it with old straw and some sawdust on the top. Well, now it is covered with snow. It is really just a way to dispose of graywater and recharg groundwater. Considering I don't use much water, not much recharging going on. :)

And last but not least...We recently passed the one month anniversary of living in Ticklebelly Bungalow!  We moved in on October 21st, so we're actually going on 5 weeks.  Everything seems to be coming together very well.  I love where we live!  The Dodge Funny Farm is FANTASTIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment