Sunday, December 14, 2014

Stair progress

My stairs are finally taking shape.  Ever since I began thinking about my tiny house a LONG time ago, I haven't wanted a ladder to access the loft.  A couple of reasons are 1) where would the ladder live when not in use, 2) it is a single purpose object, and 3) don't want to descend a ladder in the middle of the night to use the restroom.  I've paid close attention to loft access in the tiny houses I've looked at and there have only been a few that I really liked and felt were a good use of space.  Generally speaking, ladders are only used to access the loft which means they get used twice a day... once to go down and once to go up.  Unless you are like me and drink too much Wild Zinger tea before bedtime, in which case they are used twice a night as well.  

I decided to use my counter as a landing of sorts and a bookshelf with a drawer as my lower steps to get to the landing.  The drawer will have a lid and double as the first stair. Haven't built that yet, but here is the progress so far.  

This is actually the second stair...

Second and third stairs...drawer will go on the right side on the bottom and be the first stair.

Here they come: the upper part of the stairs, landing (counter) to loft...

Before painting...

During painting...

After painting...

Here they are in place.  There will be a pulley system, which is next on the list, that will pull the bottom of the stairs up to be even with the loft for daytime storage.  I'm hoping that next week's update will show the whole stair system ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment