I put the stain together on Monday and used it on Friday/Saturday. I wanted to try a test piece first, but as with many things, I get so excited that I just can't wait.
Here is a before/after of the first coat of stain. The top three pieces have stain, the bottom three don't.
I gave the lids four coats of stain... (just turned one over so you can see the difference)
Only a little piece of the frame needed to be stained and I ended up only putting two coats on that. Then the linseed oil on and wait for it to dry. Only need to add the hinges and put them in the loft. Getting closer!
It has been a while since I could declare something officially finished, with no little small thing that still needed to be done. So today is a great day! The steamer trunk is officially finished. I had some cedar left over from the drawers so I put that in the hanging-clothes side, and then I put felt pads on the bottom so it won't scratch the floor when I open and close it. Also, finished taking off the masking tape from the brass rings. DONE!