Sunday, September 13, 2015

Steve and The Adventurer

 I haven't posted in ten days. No building progress on any projects. No progress on finding a place for Ticklebelly Bungalow to land more permanently...feeling a little discouraged about that.  

On the other hand, I finished my goal of driving down the West Coast of the US from Washington to San Diego.  What an amazing journey!  I highly recommend it.  Added a couple of items to the bucket list.

More on paragraph one.  My expectation was that I would drive into a place and it would feel like home and that would be the landing place of TB. I did my best to pay attention to my heart as I drove along. All through Washington, Oregon, Northern California I didn't get the "home" feeling I was waiting for.  So I figured maybe Southern California was it...San Diego, where I have a community of tiny housers already, a possible place to park, the beach, and weather conducive to year-round gardening.  I really wanted to get that "home" feeling there...but no, didn't feel it.  I drove back up I-5 through the Central Valley of California through orchards, vineyards, and farms (amazing btw). Still didn't feel it.  I had previously wanted to drive through southern Oregon, (Grant's Pass, Medford, Ashland), so now I've done that too...still not feeling the "home" feeling.  I'm currently camping in Ashland, OR, beautiful place, debating what is next.  As I see it the options are: keep driving and hope to find that "home"-ness, or find a parking place for the Bungalow wherever and make it work.  (Although, if we're going for the make it work option, I'm going back to San Diego! :D )  

A funny:
Driving along the coast in Northern California the road is cut into the cliffside. To my great surprise, I saw a cattle crossing sign.  I puzzled over the idea of cows crossing or being in the road in that particular location.  The hillside angled steeply on both sides of the road and I could imagine mountain goats, but cows?  Not likely.  Where would they come from...or go to?  In the midst of my cow contemplation, I went around an s-curve and on the embankment between the road and the drop toward the ocean sat five cows. Oh, how I wish I had a go-pro!  Completely baffled by the presence of cows on that road...still.

An adventure -er:
In Newport, OR there is a kite store, called The Kite Store, where I went in to buy a kite (imagine that).  I was looking for a unique kite that was just the right size, not too big, not too small, that I could fly at the beach.  I LOVE kites at the beach.  After looking at small kites, big kites, box kites, triangular kites, rectangular kites, plain kites, and plane kites, I found the perfect beach kite!  It is shaped like a ship complete with sails and oars.  We (Nellie and I) finally got to fly it just north of Santa Cruz, CA on a perfectly windy day in August or maybe September, where I named it "The Adventurer" and we met a new friend named Steve. (This is sounding like a children's story)  Here is The Adventurer. Really need to get a pic of it flying...amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment