Thursday, July 9, 2015

Furniture is selling and the teardrop is coming along

More downsizing this week...items that have found new homes: sleeper loveseat, overstuffed loveseat, square bookshelf, ladder bookshelf, antique buffet, sideboard, 26"TV, piano keyboard, and I know I'm forgetting something else.  Anyway, as you can see the big house is feeling more empty by the day, which is a good thing...only I'm running out of furniture to sit on.  When the kitchen chairs go...  

I'm still working on the letters and pictures project and making good progress I think.

The teardrop is also coming along.  I haven't worked on it for a couple of days because we've been getting some crazy rainstorms, including today.  In fact, if not for the lightning/thunder/downpour I'd still be out there working.  This morning I had a feeling that I'd find a soaked teardrop (kind of like the Jeep which had the windows left open last night during our 2nd downpour of the day about 11pm).  And yes I did, although it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I ended up taking the insulation out and letting the roof dry out while I cut the siding for the front and back, as well as the hole for the vent in the roof.  Then I proceded to replace the insulation and put the front panel on. 

...and put the roof cover on...nice box of screws on the roof!

Then I cut out the hole in the roof cover for the vent...will the vent fit?
Sure did!  Hallelujah!  Didn't even have to do any re-cutting, it just slid right in!

I decided to give the roof and front panel a coat of white exterior paint just for a little extra weather protection.  I'll paint the front panel blue to match the rest when I'm finished.  I was expecting afternoon rain today, so I wanted to get as far as I could on the roof before the daily downpour. While the paint was drying, figured I'd get started on the doors.  I clamped the layers all back together and drilled the hole for the door handles.

And cut out the windows too.

About that time big black clouds started to show up over the mountains and they seemed to be headed our direction.  So I started cleaning up, but not before I got a layer of roof paper on the newly painted (and dried I hope) roof, then the tarp, then the roofing panels, which I'll be attaching soon, before it started raining.  As well as getting the Jeep under cover. :D  I'm glad for the rain.  It just means I don't have to remember to water my lawn.  I've only had my sprinklers on twice so far this summer.  Hoping the inside of the teardrop stayed dry.

I don't spend much time on this blog writing about deep thoughts/feelings, but today I think I will.  I've been feeling quite overwhelmed lately about how I'm going to get all of this stuff finished before the end of July when I close on the big house.  Then I realized that I still have three weeks and everything is moving along nicely.  I just need to remember to put one foot in front of the other every day. Pep talk...get up, dress up, show up!  So far, so good.  I suppose one of the most difficult things about this whole downsizing thing is that I'm not really downsizing my stuff, I'm downsizing my mom's stuff.  I've been really missing her a lot the last few weeks, and wondering if she would be ok with the disposition of all her belongings.  This morning I listed her china in the classified (not all of it, I'm keeping 4 place settings).  Next to listing her daybed, the china has been most difficult.  She loved it.  I love it, that's why I'm keeping some of it, but I don't need 12 place settings.  All of this to say, it is not easy!  I try to stay really positive on the blog and in my life...AND this is HARD!  One more thought.  I had a little breakdown last week about leaving my big house, and I realized that it was because it felt like I was leaving my mom.  How could I ever lock the door and drive away when so many memories of Mom's last two years reside in this house?  A few days later it occurred to me that I wouldn't be leaving her here.  She would be getting in the Jeep and going with me.  To quote my cute little 6-year old neighbor, Chloe, "Remember your mom is always in your heart."



No comments:

Post a Comment