Sunday, February 16, 2014

Unplanned roofing...

 I happened to look out the back door this morning to find that the wind had so graciously removed the tarp from Ticklebelly Bungalow.  I hadn't planned on doing much today because it is Sunday-day of rest.  But since it was snowing/raining I figured I'd better at least get the tarp back on. Well, after 45 minutes of trying to get the tarp on with the wind first blowing from the north, then from the west, then from the north again I gave up in tears.  I've never had that much trouble with the tarp! Even when I used two tarps I didn't have that much trouble.  I didn't want my roof deck to be totally soaked and I didn't know how long the snow/rain would last so I decided to put up the roof paper.  I had previously purchased some 30# felt because the other roof paper I purchased was no longer available, so it currently looks pretty funny, but at least my roof deck is protected a little bit.  By the time I had finished both sides it had stopped slushing and there was a beautiful sunset. So I'm feeling a bit forced about the roof.  I was going to wait until I had a week of sunny days, but alas I have two days to finish the roof before it is supposed to snow/rain again on Wednesday.  I folded up the tarp and put it in the shed (insert raspberry aimed at the tarp).

So tonight I'm making a to do list for the roof.  I have all the materials...meaning no last minute trips to the store. I've marked the eave edge of the panels with a 1 inch overhang, and I started cutting one panel to the correct width, but then it was time to come in the house and get Mom to bed.  And now I don't want to go back out into the cold, dark night anymore, so I'll just have to get started first thing in the morning.

There's a big wrinkle on this side that I fixed when I did the other side, but I didn't take another picture.

Port side roof...roof paper complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment