Sunday, January 5, 2014

More little things...

All the hurricane clips are moved, and the eve end of the roof sheathing has now been secured (I forgot that I hadn't done that).  Now I've moved on to making sure the roof has enough ventilation. I've done quite a bit of research and looked at a ton of videos, manufacturers information, blah, blah, blah.  Anyway, I hope what I decided to do will be enough ventilation for my roof.  I've put in rafter vents between the rafters and what I'm working on today is the lower air intake side. Many houses have soffits, but mine won't so I'm cutting a big notch in the pieces of siding that will fill the space between the header and the roof sheathing.  Getting all the siding pieces to match up has been quite frustrating.  You know that measure twice cut once thing? Well, it works but only if you cut the correct side.  Yep, I cut the pieces for the starboard side, had them all matched up between each rafter and then I cut the vent on the bottom instead of the top. Technically I could just turn them around and they would still fit, but the siding wouldn't match. (And yes, I AM being that picky about it, because I know that in the future it would bother me, even though no one else in the universe would ever even notice.)  I will even admit that I cried when I realized what I had done, because I had just spent hours matching, marking and cutting.  So I was twice as careful when I did the port side and did that side correctly the first time.  Ran out of daylight before finishing the second round of starboard cutting, so that is on the list for today, but I figured I would do a little painting this morning inside while waiting for the outside temp to go up a little bit. Here is what my kitchen currently looks like.

Next up...attaching some screen material to the back of these pieces to keep the bugs/birds/squirrels/anteaters/kangaroos etc out of my roof. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment